Oceanic Servers
Tips for Future projects - Printable Version

+- Oceanic Servers (https://forums.oceservers.com)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Mapping (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Tips for Future projects (/showthread.php?tid=980)

Pages: 1 2

Tips for Future projects - Drown- - 19-04-2019

I'm considering picking up/learning how to make a map, it has become apparent to me that I have too much free time and I'd like to do something productive with it. I'm looking for tips from previous map-makers and I'd like to make this map the best it can possibly be.

I have a few ideas for themes, games and map secrets (although I will not disclose some.)

- POW camp, I believe this may be a bit of a sensitive and touchy subject although I'm still on the fence.

- A High-Security prison buried in the side of a mountain with a nuke-like detonation that kills everyone, apart from a 'safe zone,' like Maximum.

- An underground-urban Penitentiary that can be escaped multiple ways and rewards the player(s) for doing so.

- A game that has a group of players take control of 3 mounted flamethrowers on rails and must destroy each other's flamethrower (I'm not sure on how to implement this) this can be used as a game to !lr.

- A 'drone racing game where (up to) 8 players control an RC car and must complete a circuit to win.

Thank you for your appreciation and time.  Big Grin

RE: Tips for Future projects - PMartian - 19-04-2019

Wow, good luck. Could take a couple months but if you have the dedication then why not I guess.

RE: Tips for Future projects - ONIONZZZ - 19-04-2019

I'll address my thoughts to some of your ideas

1. This is fine by us if you do not banner/decal the map with Nazi etc images, and that the map doesn't promote it
2. This is an interesting one and would have to be an extremely hard/long secret that cannot be done often
3. Could you elaborate on 'escape'?
4. That's pretty cool, you could look at Downview's castle wars for something similarish
5. Nice, in fact, Supermax has a very similar game, where Ts must control go-karts from a distance and race them around a track

RE: Tips for Future projects - Drown- - 19-04-2019

(19-04-2019, 05:04 PM)ONIONZZZ Wrote: I'll address my thoughts to some of your ideas

1. This is fine by us if you do not banner/decal the map with Nazi etc images, and that the map doesn't promote it
2. This is an interesting one and would have to be an extremely hard/long secret that cannot be done often
3. Could you elaborate on 'escape'?
4. That's pretty cool, you could look at Downview's castle wars for something similarish
5. Nice, in fact, Supermax has a very similar game, where Ts must control go-karts from a distance and race them around a track

1. I think I understand, NO SWASTIKAS
2. I'll try my best to make an elaborate map secret, one that requires time and thought.
3. I mean 'escape' as in; think mineshaft (kinda) except you'll be able to get to the surface, 'rewarded' as in, gaining supplies, giving other t's supplies, maybe manually opening gunroom for other t's, detonating premade traps, I haven't thought the whole concept through, but I am definitely thinking.
4. I'm definitely taking inspiration from other maps, while simultaneously improving them, castle wars is a fantastic idea that isn't used often enough.
Thanks for the criticism and feedback. Smile

(19-04-2019, 04:35 PM)PMartion Wrote: Wow, good luck. Could take a couple months but if you have the dedication then why not I guess.

Thanks for the encouragement, well appreciated.

RE: Tips for Future projects - IVORK - 20-04-2019

(19-04-2019, 05:04 PM)ONIONZZZ Wrote: 1. This is fine by us if you do not banner/decal the map with Nazi etc images, and that the map doesn't promote it

RE: Tips for Future projects - ONIONZZZ - 20-04-2019

(20-04-2019, 01:22 AM)IVORK Wrote:
(19-04-2019, 05:04 PM)ONIONZZZ Wrote: 1. This is fine by us if you do not banner/decal the map with Nazi etc images, and that the map doesn't promote it

Yes, this is the prime example of what not to do lmao

RE: Tips for Future projects - SuBi ☁ - 20-04-2019

(20-04-2019, 01:22 AM)IVORK Wrote:

SOOOOO When is the release for that masterpiece ^^

RE: Tips for Future projects - Drown- - 22-04-2019

I also want to ask a few questions/queries for a JB map.

- What are some essential elements that make a JB map? (Disco, Cells, Pool ETC.)

- What should a map look like? (Large and open, Small and dense.)

- And I'd like to track progress and updates, should I refer and update this thread, on Discord Or should I keep progress private to myself?

RE: Tips for Future projects - PMartian - 22-04-2019

(22-04-2019, 06:05 PM)WHIFFED Wrote: I also want to ask a few questions/queries for a JB map.

- What are some essential elements that make a JB map? (Disco, Cells, Pool ETC.)

- What should a map look like? (Large and open, Small and dense.)

- And I'd like to track progress and updates, should I refer and update this thread, on Discord Or should I keep progress private to myself?

cells!

RE: Tips for Future projects - ayble - 22-04-2019

Goodluck in your endeavours of learning Hammer. I recommend you watch 3kliksphilips tutorials on some basics. Personally, i'm very complusive and impatient so after 3 days of non-stop grinding i burnt myself out. If you build a time-slot schedule similar to how you'd study at school, it can make the learning process much easier.