Oceanic Servers
Queries about making a jailbreak map - Printable Version

+- Oceanic Servers (https://forums.oceservers.com)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Mapping (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Queries about making a jailbreak map (/showthread.php?tid=872)

Queries about making a jailbreak map - h0wLze - 24-03-2019

So, I've been thinking of getting into mapping. With more than 2,500 hours, I think it's just about due, hey?
I have several questions for mappers on the server which would be nice to have answered before I get started.

1- How long does it generally take to make a typical jailbreak map? Is it worth the dedication?

2- Did you have previous knowledge of advanced map-creating techniques before starting?

3- Should I grind it out, or meticulously edit it over months? Maybe both?

4- If I do make a viable map, could it be implemented into DS in the future? That's the main reason I want to get started, for other people to play and enjoy my creation.

5- Is there more involved then simply "making a map"? What are some fundamentals I should know?

Thanks everyone, especially participators Smile

RE: Queries about making a jailbreak map - ONIONZZZ - 24-03-2019

1. Depends. If you're new, it's going to take a while. Drainage took me 4 days, Supermax (yes, I know it doesn't count) took 11 hours, Outskirts took like 6 days. But a first map from scratch, could take months.

2. No

3. Don't expect anything, just have an idea and try to make it. If you cannot figure it out, find something similar on youtube.

4. Again, it depends.

5. Yes there is, it's not like gmod which some people think it is

RE: Queries about making a jailbreak map - h0wLze - 24-03-2019

(24-03-2019, 06:01 PM)ONIONZZZ Wrote: 1. Depends. If you're new, it's going to take a while. Drainage took me 4 days, Supermax (yes, I know it doesn't count) took 11 hours, Outskirts took like 6 days. But a first map from scratch, could take months.

2. No

3. Don't expect anything, just have an idea and try to make it. If you cannot figure it out, find something similar on youtube.

4. Again, it depends.

5. Yes there is, it's not like gmod which some people think it is

Thanks ONIONZZZ, prime input. I think I'm ready for a bit of dedication on a project, even if it does take months. 

All the best.

RE: Queries about making a jailbreak map - SuBi ☁ - 24-03-2019

1. Think this depends on what your making. Like if the map looks aesthetically pleasing or is focused more of gameplay. (i was partially concerned about both so i took alot more time making things and changing things over and over again).
Maps that have original complicated games or basic things that people have been made before that all requires different levels of play testing and other time wasting things.
Also can depend on if your just a fast focused worker or get destracted a lot (like me). Arctic was my first JB map i have made and i spent about 2 - 3 months on it (i was hinder by a lot of personal constraints but).

2. Not really, i just dabbled in the art without getting too invested

3. Map making should be more of a passion instead of a chore. When you get a idea, work on it and see where it goes. i feel that the longer the project runs, the more likely you will get sick of that idea. (i partially have hundreds of unfinished files that i have spent a lot of time in and just lost passion in those projects.

4. Depends if it meets the big bois liking.

5. Simple to make a map, Harder to make a good map.

RE: Queries about making a jailbreak map - h0wLze - 24-03-2019

(24-03-2019, 06:31 PM)SuBi ☁ Wrote: 1. Think this depends on what your making. Like if the map looks aesthetically pleasing or is focused more of gameplay. (i was partially concerned about both so i took alot more time making things and changing things over and over again).
Maps that have original complicated games or basic things that people have been made before that all requires different levels of play testing and other time wasting things.
Also can depend on if your just a fast focused worker or get destracted a lot (like me). Arctic was my first JB map i have made and i spent about 2 - 3 months on it (i was hinder by a lot of personal constraints but).

2. Not really, i just dabbled in the art without getting too invested

3. Map making should be more of a passion instead of a chore. When you get a idea, work on it and see where it goes. i feel that the longer the project runs, the more  likely you will get sick of that idea. (i partially have hundreds of unfinished files that i have spent a lot of time in and just lost passion in those projects.

4. Depends if it meets the big bois liking.

5.  Simple to make a map, Harder to make a good map.

Thanks SuBi, appreciate your anecdote. Good advice.

All the best.