Oceanic Servers
rule 42.2 revision - Printable Version

+- Oceanic Servers (https://forums.oceservers.com)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: rule 42.2 revision (/showthread.php?tid=3610)

rule 42.2 revision - ✪ sp0oky_craigy - 21-08-2021

42.2 CTs are to allow Ts to escape smokes (pause races, lava games etc. This does NOT include percieved smokes: whnade, flash etc)
as of typing when a smoke entraps a t inside of it while playing a platform obby cts are not required to end the game despite the fact that by not turning the game of that t is no longer able to escape the smoke, this would be like leaving lava on when a smoke goes of in kitchen lava game i can understand not having to turn it off for a whnade or decoy as simply standing near the front of the platform allows you to continue the game once you become unstuck but with a smoke there is no way to win the game

RE: rule 42.2 revision - APender - 21-08-2021

Yes, for a while now we've considered platform obby's such as the one on seaside to be special cases regarding this rule.

This is largely due to the abundance of smokes now readily available to players through either VIP or map spawns. These smokes introduce several complications regarding the functionality of platform obby's, often making it impossible to play without it being an exception to 42.

To provide a quick summary of what I'm about to explain:
  • Rule 42 is not enforced when playing platform obby's (You are not required to end the game / teleport the T's out)
  • The T's that fall out of the smoke (get unstuck) and die to the game are counted toward the "more than 10" rule.
  • This exception is specifically for platform obby's, every other game should continue to follow the rule as it is stated.
  • Although never formally announced, this exception is present because platform obby's would not be able to be played if it had to be stopped for every smoke.
To elaborate, I'll explain why 42 effects PO's (Platform Obby's) so much as to warrant an exception, what that exception entails and what this exception means for other map games.

The rule 42 is compatible with almost every situation, CT's should allow T's to escape from smokes. The one situation in which this rule produces complications is when playing a PO. PO's rely on slow progression through a course that grows in difficulty, the map game is only able to be experienced completely by running it until it is over. As I mentioned earlier, smokes are now readily available to a majority of players through several means and PO's are a great place to use them. As a result, if PO's were to abide by rule 42 it would never be able to be played. It would have to be stopped and restarted several times until all the smokes had been used, which would obviously take a lot longer than the game is worth as not many people would die to it anyway. 

If the rule applied, the game wouldn't be worth the time or effort to play.

Therefore, PO's are regarded as an exception to this rule to allow for them to be played and enjoyed without having to restart the game every time someone throws a smoke. This exception means that you don't have to stop the game if a smoke is thrown during it, however, that does not void smokes of consequence. Specifically, all T's that die to the game itself after falling out of the smoke will count toward the "more than 10" rule total, meaning it is still up to the warden to prevent more than 10 T's from dying to the game. This statement should not be confused with T's that actually die to the damage of the smoke, any T's that die to the damage of the smoke are independent, they do not apply to the "more than 10" rule.

As I mentioned earlier, this exception is exclusive to platform obby's and you should not attempt to adapt this as a precedent for other games.

I'll ask the operators about addressing this exception within the rules themselves, as to avoid any further confusion around it.

If I have missed anything or you have any further concerns or questions about this matter feel free to contact me on discord, APender#4176

RE: rule 42.2 revision - kizzle - 21-08-2021

(21-08-2021, 06:56 PM)APender Wrote: Yes, for a while now we've considered platform obby's such as the one on seaside to be special cases regarding this rule.

This is largely due to the abundance of smokes now readily available to players through either VIP or map spawns. These smokes introduce several complications regarding the functionality of platform obby's, often making it impossible to play without it being an exception to 42.

To provide a quick summary of what I'm about to explain:
  • Rule 42 is not enforced when playing platform obby's (You are not required to end the game / teleport the T's out)
  • The T's that fall out of the smoke (get unstuck) and die to the game are counted toward the "more than 10" rule.
  • This exception is specifically for platform obby's, every other game should continue to follow the rule as it is stated.
  • Although never formally announced, this exception is present because platform obby's would not be able to be played if it had to be stopped for every smoke.
To elaborate, I'll explain why 42 effects PO's (Platform Obby's) so much as to warrant an exception, what that exception entails and what this exception means for other map games.

The rule 42 is compatible with almost every situation, CT's should allow T's to escape from smokes. The one situation in which this rule produces complications is when playing a PO. PO's rely on slow progression through a course that grows in difficulty, the map game is only able to be experienced completely by running it until it is over. As I mentioned earlier, smokes are now readily available to a majority of players through several means and PO's are a great place to use them. As a result, if PO's were to abide by rule 42 it would never be able to be played. It would have to be stopped and restarted several times until all the smokes had been used, which would obviously take a lot longer than the game is worth as not many people would die to it anyway. 

If the rule applied, the game wouldn't be worth the time or effort to play.

Therefore, PO's are regarded as an exception to this rule to allow for them to be played and enjoyed without having to restart the game every time someone throws a smoke. This exception means that you don't have to stop the game if a smoke is thrown during it, however, that does not void smokes of consequence. Specifically, all T's that die to the game itself after falling out of the smoke will count toward the "more than 10" rule total, meaning it is still up to the warden to prevent more than 10 T's from dying to the game. This statement should not be confused with T's that actually die to the damage of the smoke, any T's that die to the damage of the smoke are independent, they do not apply to the "more than 10" rule.

As I mentioned earlier, this exception is exclusive to platform obby's and you should not attempt to adapt this as a precedent for other games.

I'll ask the operators about addressing this exception within the rules themselves, as to avoid any further confusion around it.

If I have missed anything or you have any further concerns or questions about this matter feel free to contact me on discord, APender#4176

What a great reply +1