Oceanic Servers
Interpretation of rules (Vent camping) - Printable Version

+- Oceanic Servers (https://forums.oceservers.com)
+-- Forum: General Forums (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Interpretation of rules (Vent camping) (/showthread.php?tid=175)

Interpretation of rules (Vent camping) - M4-Johnny-117 - 20-08-2018

Throughout my short time here on the server everything seems to be very refined in the sense that rules and game-play is consistent and the server numbers are healthy. Now before i begin id like to say that my understanding of the rules is at a level that id like to say, is roughly 80%. Different people perceive things differently and that seems to be the issue that surrounds the nature of jailbreak, the level and variety of cognitive thinking varies amongst each individual. Thus rules must be clear as possible in order to achieve the same level of understanding for ALL users.  
To combat this we need our admins to enforce every rule established, which they all know very well and do a good job of doing. More so we need admins to enforce rules at the same level of understanding. As mentioned earlier we perceive and understand things differently the vent camping rule is a simple one "19. CTs can kill any Ts in vents/gunroom or with powers without warning as this is deemed an autorebel. However, CTs are not allowed to camp gunroom or vents." yet despite its simplicity confusion surrounds the rule. 

In a game i believe it to be a couple of days ago Shane warned CT's not to be camping vent cells when there wasn't a single CT in the vents and stated over the mic that "looking at cells (prolonged period of time) or around the cells is considered camping to." I remember this as i was a CT myself doing what Shane had just stated us CT not to do in order to prevent T's from rebelling. He did enforce it and even slayed a CT member i dont remember the user he slayed but the rule was understood and no problems surfaced. (Map: Revo) 

However, a few days later the rule was no longer enforced by other admins now i can't say how many but i do remember Turtle on CT commanding the round on Revo and the rule wasn't enforced as CT's "camped" the vent cell standing on the railing of surf picking off T's. What needs to be clarified is; What's considered camping? & How the rule will affect game-play. 

What is considered camping?:
In my interpenetration of the rule, camping is physically consuming the parameters of a certain area for prolonged periods of time. E.g sitting in vents or gunroom. This is where the issue stems from ,interpretation! We all see things differently and when i asked other admins such as Anthonyy why he doesn't enforce the rule he stated that "different admins have their own understanding of the rules" which is the issue here. Its simple either we all enforce it or we don't in order to keep balance amongst users and prevent confusion which can ultimately collude with the gaming experience we are trying to create here.  I dont need to further elaborate on why all admins should have the same understanding, im sure you're getting my point here. 

How the rule will affect gameplay?:
I completely understand why the rule would be enforced by Shane from his perspective as it allows T's to have a chance at making a run for it and changing up the play style of particular maps rather than stagnant CT commands over and over. The same could be said on the other end of the spectrum as in some cases vents can be a large problem for gaining control and order and sway in the favour of the T side. But i must give an example of the implementation of  Shane interpretation of the rule will better a maps game-play and that's on Seaside. The vent is directly in front of gunroom and disallows ant T's to even attempt an escape, making the vent rather useless. In my recent experience CT's would even stand above/in-front the cell waiting for a T to knife the vent discouraged me to continue playing as it ruins the element of rebelling. 

I think its best that the entire community get a chance to have a say as at the end of the day we are ALL following the rules and trying to have our fun, yes its in the hands of the Managers/Operators to make the final call however please do keep in mind that this NEEDS to be addressed as there are rules in which i haven't even stated  which surrounds the same issue. 
Not here to cause any trouble jut doing my bid as a user and saying what i think could be done to make the servers better. Cheers. 

RE: Interpretation of rules (Vent camping) - ONIONZZZ - 20-08-2018

Camping vents is pretty simple, if you're staring at a vent, you are a camping it. Waiting for T's to exit a vent, is camping it. Watching T's enter a vent is NOT camping. T's should have the freedom to exit a vent without fear that they will be killed immediately (that is if no other T has just exited said vent). You should not be in a position as a CT for a prolonged period of time where a vent is in your fov. In-fact, on previous iterations of this community this rule was much much more strict. 

Sometimes admins miss things, they can't see everything. And like some rules, things can be left to the admins discretion if it is enhancing gameplay (for the better). But in the end this rule has to be enforced and has remained relatively the same for the past 10 years. 

Some of the rules are vague on purpose, because rules aren't fun. I've said this to our staff team privately many times, some rules are okay to break if everyone is having fun. Blanket rules are boring and make the gameplay too clinical and serious. An admins job is not necessarily to enforce the rules, but to make the server the most fun. 

This includes bending the rules a little.. Sometimes Tongue

RE: Interpretation of rules (Vent camping) - M4-Johnny-117 - 20-08-2018

(20-08-2018, 05:35 PM)ONIONZZZ Wrote: Camping vents is pretty simple, if you're staring at a vent, you are a camping it. Waiting for T's to exit a vent, is camping it. Watching T's enter a vent is NOT camping. T's should have the freedom to exit a vent without fear that they will be killed immediately (that is if no other T has just exited said vent). You should not be in a position as a CT for a prolonged period of time where a vent is in your fov. In-fact, on previous iterations of this community this rule was much much more strict. 

Sometimes admins miss things, they can't see everything. And like some rules, things can be left to the admins discretion if it is enhancing gameplay (for the better). But in the end this rule has to be enforced and has remained relatively the same for the past 10 years. 

Some of the rules are vague on purpose, because rules aren't fun. I've said this to our staff team privately many times, some rules are okay to break if everyone is having fun. Blanket rules are boring and make the gameplay too clinical and serious. An admins job is not necessarily to enforce the rules, but to make the server the most fun. 

This includes bending the rules a little.. Sometimes Tongue

Perfect, thanks for your time appreciate it. 
In-game: iMaster