Oceanic Servers
Firm Definition on "5 ft." - Printable Version

+- Oceanic Servers (https://forums.oceservers.com)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.oceservers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Firm Definition on "5 ft." (/showthread.php?tid=1423)

Firm Definition on "5 ft." - ZoNiCaL - 05-09-2019

This suggestion mainly relates to Rule 33 for Jailbreak:
Quote: [font=Arial]33. Ts are clear to knife any CT within their 5ft radius.  The CT cannot retaliate to this attack. However, a rushing T disregards this rule.[/font]

My suggestion here is having a clear definition for "5ft", and to have an actual in game measurement for this rule. For those who are unaware, the main unit of measurement for the Source Engine is Hammer Units (HU). My suggestion is that the 5ft definition should become a set number of HUs, say (as an example) 128HU from the center of a Ts hitbox.

I am aware that staff members have powers to see the death location of a T, and where the CT was when they killed them. I think that having a distance in HUs come out of this to help staff members reach a decision.

I believe that this is a simple change and would take little effort to implement and enforce.
- ZoNiCaL

RE: Firm Definition on "5 ft." - J Breakfast - 05-09-2019

nah it really doesnt
defining this using HU doesn't help the community or really the staff team
Its confusing and the 5 foot rule isnt meant to just be exact at all times and we're not pulling out any rulers to make sure it was or wasn't. It's down to common sense and discretion
Nty

RE: Firm Definition on "5 ft." - IVORK - 05-09-2019

Hi,

The stabbing distance is 64hu for left and 48hu for right clicks. The player model height is 72hu and average height of an Australian male is 5' 9".

Therefore 5ft in-game equates to 62.3hu, which is why we round off and rule that if you are at/are going where you're supposed to be and can knife a CT, then you can knife CTS. There isn't any deviation distance, either they're in your way, or they're not.

EDIT: There is also a plugin that gives us a track of the last 10 seconds of player movement as well as chat notification if they die within 5ft of a CT based off this measurement. So there's no reason staff wouldn't be able to determine whether or not a 5ft kill is valid.

RE: Firm Definition on "5 ft." - ONIONZZZ - 05-09-2019

On previous iterations of this community, 5ft was quite a large distance (real life 5ft looks larger than it does in-game).
Admins can see more than you think, there's many tools and alerts that give staff important metrics.
When a T dies, if they are within a predefined distance to the killing CT, a chat message is displayed to all staff members on the server.

[5ft] ONIONZZZ died within 5ft to IVORK.

The whole point of 5ft isnt the exact 5ft measurement, its an eyeball measurement. As 5ft situations are case by case.

And just a little FYI, my predefined measurement of 5ft is actually more than 5ft, as IVORK stated, 5ft in the engine is very small. (The exact distance is 7ft)